The German river cruises from The River Cruise Line provide a fascinating experience for anyone looking to soak in the rich culture and beauty of Germany from the comfort and convenience of a river cruise ship. Germany is located in western Europe and its capital is Berlin.
Each of these rivers has played a vital role in Germany’s story. For example, the Rhine is an international river which has been developed for use by large ships; while the course of the Elbe has remained almost untouched. The River Cruise Line experience brings you through some of the most important and beautiful parts of this vast country.
Germany River Cruises
Guide to cruising in Germany
A German river cruise will take you on a wonderful journey filled with history and culture. Take in the view from one our stunning cruise ships as the waterways pass ancient castles, iconic sites, stunning landscapes and cosmopolitan cities. Visitors can enjoy some wonderful attractions, including the UNESCO-listed Rhine Gorge, the famous wine growing regions of the country in the Moselle valley and the beautiful architecture in Cologne.
This is a country with a host of fantastic cities, many of which sit on the great rivers of Germany or are within easy driving distance once on shore. This includes the cathedral city of Cologne, and Heidelberg – home to Germany’s oldest university. It also includes Bonn, Beethoven’s birthplace, which also forms part of the journey.
Great food and wine
German cuisine is as diverse as the country itself, with each region having its own specialties.
The nation is better recognised for its alcohol production, especially from the region of Bavaria. German beer is celebrated worldwide, and German wine making – which is widely explored on many of our itineraries – is also lauded.
Dark forests, deep rivers, lush wine lands and medieval locations give many parts of Germany a fairytale look. Balancing this are cities that mix the traditional with the modern, providing great views from the riverside. Germany also houses a host of UNESCO-listed sites, including the Rhine Gorge and the Roman monuments of Trier.
No matter which river you choose for your German river cruise, an unforgettable adventure waits.
• The Rhine Falls is the largest plain waterfall in Europe. The falls are located on the upper Rhine and measure 150 metres (450 feet) wide and 23 metres (75 feet) high.
• Brandenburg Gate, found in the capital, is an iconic symbol of Germany’s rich history, having been built in the 18th century and survived two world wars.
• Cologne Cathedral took 600 years to complete and is widely considered to be Germany’s most impressive building.
• Enjoy a cable car journey across the Rhine from Koblenz to visit the mighty Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, Europe’s second largest surviving fortress.
• Spend time in Heidelberg, one of the most popular destinations in Germany and home to Germany’s oldest university.
• Formerly the residence of Roman emperors and believed to be the oldest city in Germany, many flock to the city of Trier.
• The festive season is a fabulous time to visit Germany, for it boasts many famous Christmas markets. Stalls are set up selling traditional gifts, food and warming glühwein. Great places to witness this tradition include Rüdesheim, Koblenz, Cologne and Cochem.